GET ME TO THE CHURCH ON TIME! (2)

 Ex-Airfix kit ready for first service.


I still can't quite believe that the moulds for this plastic kit date back to the late 1950s, especially as everything fitted together perfectly. The only upgrades that the Dapol kit has received are laser-cut roof tiles from York Modelmaking and stained glass windows from Langley Models. I also reduced the overall length of the building by an inch or so, to allow it to fit into the space I had available. Indeed, at only 180mm, it's provided a perfect corner filler on an old layout that I'm currently refurbishing.

A fair amount of effort was put into the painting and finishing stages, to help bring out the best of the moulded relief on the walls, as well as the extra roof detail. Now set into a scenic location, the building has really come to life.

Look out for a full demo in Model Rail magazine, issue 220 (on sale 10 March)...



Comments

  1. Built one of these ages ago, and as I didn't have anything to represent the stained glass, I noticed that most churches in daylight, you can't see the patterns on the windows from normal viewing distances so I used card painted a dark grey. It seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put some of that aluminium mesh behind the windows, bolstered with old sweet wrappers, it seems to work at my viewing distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks superb! I'm about to start building this in the New Year as part of a History project with some of my students at High School - I've tracked down an issue of 220 on e-bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. Great idea for a history class - hope the kids enjoy it!
      GD.

      Delete
    2. I've got the magazine - fantastic article which will be a terrifc reference for us. Back to work on Monday, so I'll let you know how we get on over the next six weeks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts