AUSTERITY PROGRESS

NCB blue 0-6-0ST ready for lining-out


This modified Hornby Austerity 0-6-0 is looking rather spruce in a shiny coat of NCB blue paint and is just awaiting lettering and lining in yellow. I had to mix the shade of blue myself, having run out of my usual Humbrol version, using Railmatch BR Regional Railways blue and a few drops of Porterbrook purple. The lining should be a test of my skill with a ruling pen, although the envisaged scheme is quite basic. After a few more cups of tea, I should be feeling up to the job, having practiced on some scrap plastic first. I've been testing two different shades: Cawoods yellow and Pullman cream, both from Phoenix Precision Paints, with the former shade proving a more vibrant option. Divining how it will look on the blue surface is difficult and what I should have done is paint up a swatch of the same NCB blue when finishing the loco, giving me the perfect surface on which to test the lining colour and style. But you live and learn....

Lining with a ruling pen demands high quality paints and you can't get much better than the PPP enamels, especially once they've been stirred thoroughly and thinned ever-so slightly with white spirit. I'm also just finishing off an article for Model Rail issue 182 on this subject, so look out for that for more info and an illustrated demo of the basic techniques required. Hand lining is great fun and much more rewarding than working with decals.

There's also the wasp stripes to complete, along with painting the wheels and coupling rods. I must say that I'm looking forward to getting this loco back on the rails, as it's been a couple of years in the making, after fitting-out with a detail kit and Giesel ejector (chimney) from RT Models, along with a few scratch-built additions, such as the sliding cab side shutters (see Model Rail issue 179).

When this project is complete, Maudetown Colliery will have a second member for it's steam fleet, to help Bess shift all those loaded hoppers. Which reminds me, it's going to need a name...

Comments

  1. How about "Hoss" as in "Hoss-Terity"...

    Great build, George - she looks brilliant. Hope you get a shot of the finished thing in-situ

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Hoss' - I like it! But it's just too late, I'm afraid - having just uploaded this, I found a set of nameplates and have fixed them to the model. So, the Austerity is now named ALBERT, which seems to suit it.
    Cheers,
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Damn, oh well, Albert's a good solid name for a hard working loco

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you do it George ,your timing could not have been better as I am about to try some lining myself. I look forwards to the article.
    Regards
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's my psychic powers! Hope the lining article proves helpful.
    Cheers,
    George.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts