LMS TWINS

Bachmann/Rails limited editions impress.


As my review in the latest issue of Model Rail (MR216) attests, the limited release of the LMS 'Twin' diesels in their original liveries has impressed me. Although Bachmann Branchline has offered BR green versions of 10000 and 100001 for a while, Rails of Sheffield has reserved the stylish black and silver schemes as limited editions models. I had the pleasure of running my eye over these review samples, supplied in a wooden collectors' box with numbered certificate. All very nice. Such a shame that I had to send them back...

I enjoyed reading up on the prototypes, with a good few books available on the subject. Especially useful was a double (or should I say 'twin'!) volume from the LMS Locomotive Profile series, published a few years back by Wild Swan (authors: Hunt & Ford). The first instalment is great, but the second Pictorial Supplement is actually more vital, offering far more technical info and images, along with some corrections to the original volume.

It seems that the version of 10000, with LMS lettering, has now sold out. Other versions of each loco are still available from Rails at the moment, including some custom finishes with BR emblems.

Comments

Popular Posts