HITTING THE BUFFERS 2

 Another great kit adds the finishing touch to a siding



Now that I've recovered from the Warley exhibition, I've been putting the finishing touches to a few kit building projects. Most notably - as mentioned in my last post, I've just completed another bufferstop for a Workbench Test article, to appear in Model Rail issue 191 (out just after Christmas). This 4mm scale whitemetal kit is from Lanarkshire Model Supplies and is easy to assemble, replicating a typical Midland/LMS style of rail-built 'stop block'. The metal castings are finely crafted, with only a few parts to fix together. I employed low temperature solder for a very strong construction, which should withstand any accidental collisions from locomotives or rolling stock.

Once painted and set into the layout, it really does look the part. In the image below, you may notice a small gap in the rail nearest the camera. This is essential to prevent the all-metal bufferstop from causing a short circuit to the track power supply.

Going back to Warley, I enjoyed both days, with plenty of new and familiar faces to meet and chat to. Thanks to everyone who came over to the Model Rail stand to say hello. I even got to play Chris Nevard's new ukelele!  However, as with last year, I only got to see 2 or 3 layouts - very briefly - and had to rush around in the last hour to get some shopping done. There was so much more I needed to do, see and buy, but there's always the Glasgow show in a couple of months, I suppose...



Comments

Popular Posts